Published: 06/10/2016 08:02 - Updated: 06/10/2016 12:18

Clach seal late midweek win at Lossiemouth


Clach manager Iain Polworth saw his side run out 3-2 winners at Lossiemouth on Wednesday.
Clach manager Iain Polworth saw his side run out 3-2 winners at Lossiemouth on Wednesday.

CLACH clinched a superb midweek win in the Highland League with a 3-2 success at Lossiemouth.

The Coasters, who were seeking to strike back from their Scottish Cup defeat against Forres, flew out the traps and took the lead after just five minutes through Martin McMullan after he was set up by Martin Charlesworth.

Both sides showed plenty of attacking flair and Clach almost levelled when Daniel Maclennan, who rejoined the club recently following his return from working in Australia, saw his volley headed wide by McMullan.

The visitors drew level on 57 minutes when Ian Penwright directed a header past keeper Darren McConnachie from close range, cashing in on Lossie' s failure to clear the danger from a corner.

Twenty minutes later, Clach were in front when defender Struan Scott-Woodhouse guided a terrific 40-yard free-kick into the net to the surprise of everyone.

The hosts needed a reaction and they got it when substitute Shawn Scott scored with a header to make it 2-2.

It seemed as if it was going to be a point apiece, but a late own goal earned the Lilywhites a victory before this weekend's trip to Huntly.

The result of the night came at Victoria Park where rampant leaders Buckie Thistle battered Brora Rangers 5-0 in a real statement of intent.

Brora, one of those along with current champions Cove Rangers expected to be battling for the title flag, had no answer to the Jags, who have won 11 of their 12 league fixtures this season.

Ex-Brora Rangers man John McLeod bagged a double, with the other goals coming from Lewis MacKinnon, Kevin Fraser and Drew Copeland.

Brora are now in third spot, six points adrift of their hosts.

Buckie are five points clear of second-placed Cove Rangers, who were 2-1 home victors against a battling Nairn County side.

Nairn, fresh from dealing in manager Ronnie Sharp on new contract, are looking to find consistency and they certainly left Harlaw Park with positives.

Yet, they didn't get off to the best of starts when a mistake at the back let in Daniel Park after just six minutes and he slotted the ball beyond goalkeeper Dylan MacLean for the opener.

It looked as if it was going to be a long night for Nairn when just four minutes later Mitch Megginson doubled Cove's advantage with a superb 25-yard strike.

Both teams had chances to score after this including Nairn's Jason Morganti having his shot blocked and Cove's Jonny Smith putting the ball off target from a decent position.

The visitors threw themselves a lifeline with 12 minutes to go when Gregg Main netted from a free-kick.

Megginson almost scored another for Cove, but his low shot came back off the post.

Nairn, who are third bottom in ther table, will be looking to get past an ever-improving Rothes at Station Park this weekend.

Elsewhere last night, Fraserburgh beat Deveronvale 3-0, Turriff United were 2-0 home winners against Strathspey Thistle, Wick Academy won 5-3 at Forres Mechanics, Fort William were edged out 2-1 at Rothes and Formartine United crushed visitors Huntly 8-0.

Saturday's HFL fixtures: Brora Rangers v Keith, Deveronvale v Buckie Thistle, Forres Mechanics v Cove Rangers, Fort William v Turriff United, Huntly v Clach, Inverurie Locos v Formartine United, Nairn County v Rothes, Strathspey Thistle v Lossiemouth, Wick Academy v Fraserburgh.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo