Published: 09/11/2017 09:00 - Updated: 08/11/2017 09:48

No contest as points are shared in the Premiership

KILMALLIE and Oban were allowed to share the Marine Harvest Premiership points at the weekend after the hosts’ Canal Park was declared unplayable on Friday evening.

Shinty’s governing body, the Camanachd Association, agreed to this move given that league positions were unaffected by the outcome.

Kilmallie conclude their season on eight points in second bottom place and return to the Marine Harvest National Division after one season in the top-flight, while Oban finish sixth on 18 points, eight ahead of seventh-placed Glenurquhart.

There was much to celebrate in Strathpeffer as Caberfeidh’s promotion to the top division was confirmed.

Fort William went level on points with second-placed Cabers in the National Division after a 2-0 win over Inveraray at An Aird.

However, it will be the Strathpeffer outfit who gain promotion to the Premiership by virtue of a better goal difference along with champions Skye.

It appears bottom-placed Inverness will not be relegated from the National Division with the two eligible teams for promotion from North Division One and South Division One unlikely to table a bid to move up a league.

Marine Harvest North Division One champions Newtonmore and South Division One winners Lochside Rovers are both reserve teams and are therefore ineligible for promotion.

The respective runners up, Aberdeen University and Aberdour, while eligible to request an opportunity to step up, are believed to be happy remaining in the area leagues next year.

In a fixture played on Sunday, Strathspey and Caberfeidh each signed off their North Division Two programme at Grantown where Strathspey emerged victorious by a 2-1 scoreline.

Strathspey move up a place to fourth, three points adrift of Cabers who finish in third.

With Canal Park being deemed incapable of taking two games, the fixture between Kilmallie and Inverness was postponed with the match rescheduled for this Saturday.

In an exciting London Shield Under-17 final switched by a toss of the coin from Invergarry to The Dell, Kingussie took the honours with a 1-0 penalty shoot-out win over Oban Camanachd after the teams finished at 4-4 after extra-time.

Kieran MacPherson was the only player to net from the spot in the shoot-out, with Kings’ keeper Dylan Borthwick, who had switched from half back to goals just before the end of extra-time, saving all five Oban penalties.

*** Saturday’s fixtures (all 2pm starts): Marine Harvest League North Division One: Kinlochshiel v Beauly; North Division Two: Kilmallie v Inverness.

< Back


Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo